Wednesday, September 17, 2008

S&L, Anyone?

This financial crisis reminds me of the S&L (savings and loan) crisis of the 1980s and '90s.

We hear talk of greed, greed, greed from the McCain camp.

But the traditional champions of the free market (unfetered free market) have traditionally clamored for a policy of government hands off.

Starting with their hero, Ronald Reagan, the conservatves ushered in an era of deregulation.

Hands off.

Certainly, as a small-business owner myself (the preceding hyphen is needed; otherwise, you are speaking about my physical height) I see the value of cutting through red tape.

This isn't about red tape, though.

It's about the proper role of government and its need to protect us from the worst among us.

It's a classic case of the need for prudent regulation.

The Democrats should be saying "I told you so," but I have a sneaky suspicion they abandoned their calling and their "liberal" (it ain't a bad word now) principles long ago and went along for the Deregulatory Ride.


No comments: