Friday, September 5, 2008

The Albatross of Reengineering Semantics

Michael Hammer, who engineered the term reengineering and popularized it in the 1993 book he coauthored, Reengineering the Corporation, has died at 60.

According to his obit in The New York Times, Hammer regretted how his concepts were exploited as an excuse to fire workers.

"It is astonishing to me the extent to which the term re-engineering has been hijacked, misappropriated and misunderstood," he is quoted to have told Time.

"I'm saddened and offended by the idea that companies exist to enrich their owners. That is the very least of their roles; they are far more worthy, more honorable, and more important than that. "

Amen.


1 comment:

Middle Ditch said...

That's pretty young to die.

I saw your post about giving up trying to get your work published and just write for pleasure or post them on your blog.

I couldn't agree more. Trying to get your work accepted by those "we know what we are talking about" can be harrowing and undermining. I have given up and now post on two blogs. One (this one) is an audio blog, the other is for my scripts. I get much more pleasure out of it and the comments make it all worthwhile.

Take care