Monday, October 15, 2007

Albatross as Anchor -- Or Not


The following is from today's San Francisco Chronicle, quoting the manager of the red-hot Colorado Rockies:



Perspective: [Rockies Manager Clint] Hurdle has a rough and gruff exterior that shrouds a more thoughtful side. He showed it when discussing a reporter's description of a late-season loss to Arizona as 'crushing.'

'It was just kind of funny at the time because that day I had gotten a call from a mother at Children's Hospital (who) wanted me to come by and see her son before he was going to pass that night,' Hurdle said. 'That was debilitating. Crushing was when a doctor told me my little girl was born with a birth defect. Baseball is a game, and I've learned that, and I've embraced that, and I've tried to share that with my players.


'Let's keep it a game, and let's not wear it like an anchor around our necks afterward.'

No comments: