Monday, August 27, 2007

Anatomy of 'Albatross'

Of course, the title of this blog borrows from a metaphor popularized by Samuel Taylor Coleridge in his mysterious Rime of the Ancient Mariner poem (1798). Several authors have played with the notion of the albatross's power, its curse, its burden.

The origin of the word is diver.

We dive for diverse riches, for the pearl of our dreams.

It can weigh us down, but oftentimes not like an anchor. More like a millstone.

In writing about the acquisitiveness of others, I do not imply that I am exempt from this attachment and reaching. I am not exempt. At all.

Coleridge wrote:


to describe the sailors adrift at sea, starving and parched amid a sea of water.

I suppose our society could readily substitute the word money for water in the passage above.

Or a myriad of other words symbolizing the shiny bauble of Glamour or Greed.

3 comments:

The Phosgene Kid said...

The thing with an albatross, I don't care how you cook it, the bird is still tough as boot leather.

Odat said...

I found you here!....is this where you're going to stay now?

And yes, the "entitlement" is what bothers me about today's society....

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Phos,
Boot leather is great sauteed with sinews of desire.

Odat,
found. It's kind of a secret experiment, but The Laughorist is my main base of operations (such as it is; need to post at both today). Thanks for stopping by mansions on a sultry evening.

PK